Quoting RFC2860 [Re: I-D Action:draft-azinger-scalable-addressing-00.txt]

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 01:15:46 CEST 2010

On 2010-09-27 07:14, Tony Li wrote:
> Hi Gert,
>
>>> They are obliged to work within the architecture that IETF lays out.
>> As long as the IETF creates an architecture that enables the RIRs and
>> the members to actually make good use of the technology, I can see good
>> coorporation happen.  (Obligation?  Where is this written down?  Signed
>> by whom?).
>

> RFC 2860.  As quoted in our draft:
>
> 	  The MoU directs IANA to comply with "the criteria and procedures
> 	  specified in RFCs, including Proposed, Draft, and full Internet
> 	  Standards and Best Current Practice documents" (section 4.1).

True, but also:

   4.3. Two particular assigned spaces present policy issues in addition
   to the technical considerations specified by the IETF: the assignment
   of domain names, and the assignment of IP address blocks. These
   policy issues are outside the scope of this MOU.

That was a specific exemption without which I don't believe ICANN
would ever have signed the MoU.

    Brian (IAB Chair when the MoU was signed)