ToS-like processing of the IPv6 Traffic Class?

Merike Kaeo merike at aristanetworks.com
Thu Sep 23 11:39:09 CEST 2010

Here's two pointers that may help:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos9.4/topics/concept/cos-ipv6-protocols-overview-solution.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipv6/configuration/guide/ip6-qos.html  [especially the troubleshooting part]

It's been a few years since I dealt with configuring and knowing how to deal with buffers and queueing but  I think you did have to specify explicitly how you'd want the queueing to be handled - there wasn't just a default 'allow strict precedence queueing'.

And while I'd agree that using same policies and configurations for IPv4/IPv6 will reduce operational headaches and confusion, I'd be curious to know if some people out there ARE using different QoS configurations for application traffic going over v4 vs v6 and why.

- merike