XS4ALL Introduces native IPv6 for DSL customers

Marco Hogewoning marcoh at marcoh.net
Wed Sep 1 17:47:41 CEST 2010

On 1 sep 2010, at 17:05, Mateusz Blaszczyk wrote:

> Marco
>

>> Our side is completely passive, so as long as the modem doesn't try to setup IPV6CP nothing will happen. But it still eats a routing entry, address assigment and the whole lot. More over at least now we can see somebody is using IPv6, makes support a whole lot easier.
>>

> As I understand this approach is to enable dual stack on the
> modems/routers. That of course works until you have the IPv4 addresses
> to hand out. What is your plan for IPV6 only service? How v6 only user
> will access the old internet ? Or is it the old internet ISPs'
> problem?

The short answer is indeed: 'not my problem'. We did our part. Now it's up to the rest of the internet to follow or loose.

The longer answer is we operate in a more or less saturated market, it's unlikely we will grow by such numbers we run into problems the next few years. If we do happen to grow it's probably because we bought a company ands it's likely  it will come including some address space.

And as we every story the truth will probably be somewhere in the middle. I hope with this step, we showed the world it is possible to deploy IPv6. Together with some other major players like Comcast and Google we are now proving that you can. Hopefully this takes off the next 24 months in such a way that 80 ~ 90 % of the traffic will shift to v6. For the remaining part we can always look into providing some NAT64 solution or the like. For a couple of hundred megabits that won't be a problem.

And I'm stepping a bit out of line here. But I can also imagine that access to that NAT64 service will be provided upon payment. Either by the site who doesn't do IPv6 or the end-user who wants to reach them. After all, we invest a nice sum in making this possible. Why should I give you a free ride.
</flamebait>

MarcoH
 PS that last comment was a strictly personal view and has nothing to do with my employer or other hats I may wear.