/48 vs. /56 for customers, was XS4ALL Introduces native IPv6 for DSL customers

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Wed Sep 1 15:20:27 CEST 2010

On 27/08/2010 23:33, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> It seems you have a rather strong urge to try and cover it too, I wonder
> why. If you would not have such a strong opinion you would just state
> that you and me disagree and that is it. That is a fact ;)

I'll take back what I said, having looked more carefully at:

ftp.arin.net:/pub/stats/arin/delegated-arin-latest

The 2608::/13 block is carved up into multiple /22s, each of which is
registered to MIL-HSTMST-ARIN.  My initial understanding was that the US
DoD had only been assigned 2 x /22 - one at the beginning of the block, and
one at the end, but it would appear that they have been assigned 14 x /22
out of this various chunks from this block, including the /22s at the
beginning and the end of the block.  No other organisation has received any
other allocations out of this block.

Regarding whether  2608::/13 is reserved or not, the circumstantial
evidence suggests that it is;  however, ARIN doesn't appear to have made
any public comment on the matter one way or another.

Nick