Operational challenges of no NAT

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri Oct 29 23:20:12 CEST 2010

On 10/29/2010 1:08 PM, George Bonser wrote:

>> No.  Not ISPs.  In my experience, ISPs have become quite active in
>> investigating ways of deploying IPv6 in ways that are useful to their
>> customers. This obviously makes sense since it is the ISPs that are
>> going to be the ones first impacted by the lack of IP addresses.
>
> Of course they are.  When v4 runs out, they lose their ability to
> provision new customers once they run out of PA space themselves.  If
> they want new customers, they will need to push hard on V6 adoption and
> push to get that adoption wide enough so that v6 is actually useful.
>

>> The folks not interested in paradigm shifts, as demonstrated by the
>> lack of significant IPv6 deployment, are pretty much everybody else
>> (modulo the tiny percentage of geeks and early adopters).  These folks
>> do not want to care how things work.  The fact that IPv6 makes them
>> have to care is probably the worst failing of IPv6.
>
> That is because the only thing v6 offers is "more IP addresses". It
> greatly complicates things for no additional benefit from the
> perspective of many end users.  Now if there were some new technology
> that could only be supported on v6 and there was some great clamor for
> that technology, that would act to pull v6 into the network.  There are
> no such technologies or applications at present.

I doubt that there will be, the days of the networking industry being
driven by that sort of thing have been gone for some time.  Even the
iphone for all it's coolness, has not caused the majority of cell phone
owners to run into the store and upgrade their phones.

But what there WILL be are the millions of NEW Internet users who get
on with only IPv6, and some kind of IPv6->IPv4 translator to get at
the legacy stuff.  That is already driving the content providers to get
on IPv6.

The process of switching end users to it will be more gradual but
honestly, corporate/organizational/business use of the Internet has
LAGGED residential use of the Internet for MANY YEARS.

When Sally Schmoe the Marketing Manager throws her old home laptop to
the kids and buys a brand new one that speaks IPv6 out of the box
to her home DSL line, it will not be long before she is in the network
admin's office demanding to know why this cool app that is IPv6 only
that works great at home isn't working on the company network.

She won't give a tinkers damn that it's because the corporate network
admin is going slow on IPv6 deployment, in 2 shakes she's going to be
in the CEO's office peeing in his ear about how incompetent the network
people are if you don't have something for her.

At least, that's how it's always worked in the orgs -I'VE- worked at.

It will come, just wait and see.  Have faith.

Ted

So if you are an