IPv4 -> IPv6 "bridge" ?

Xavier Beaudouin kiwi at oav.net
Tue Oct 12 11:53:33 CEST 2010

Hi Marcelo,

Le 12 oct. 2010 à 11:11, marcelo bagnulo braun a écrit :

> El 12/10/10 11:03, Xavier Beaudouin escribió:
>> Hello,
>>
>> The thread about IPv6 Future, how will you solve IPv4 connectivity, is for me also a problem.
>>
>> I operate a new born cloud computing company in France (we do only this kind of business, exclusively), and we have the problem of IPv4 exhaustion...
>>
>> We had an idea to do IPv6 only on all hosts and create a kinda bridge with our /21 (at starting) to do IPv4 ->  "internal" IPv6 host that must be reachable from IPv4 "old internet", also this mapping has to be done in direction IPv6 host ->  IPv4 when this host needs to reach some IPv4 stuff.
>
> does this means that you have a public IPv4 address for each IPv6 only host?

Allmost, depending of check box (or something like this) on the panel of user / corporation : [ ] Allow IPv4 Access.

> If so, you can use stateless translation and i believe there is free code (search for IVI from cernet)

Will looking at that....

> If you don't have a public IPv4 address per IPv6 only host, then you need to run nat64, and in this case, supporting communications inititated from the v4 side is harder (you probably need to rely on some nat traversal technique)

I have looked a this direction, not yet tested... But yes, communication inititated from v4 side is more harder...

I will have a look, and make some work on it...
This is  maybe the best way to have a simplier transition...

Regards,
Xavier