In an IPv6 future, how will you solve IPv4 connectivity?

marcelo bagnulo braun marcelo at it.uc3m.es
Mon Oct 11 08:30:20 CEST 2010

  El 11/10/10 2:48, Truman Boyes escribió:
> On 10 Oct 2010, at 11:43 PM, marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:

>>> I think the answer to this question depends upon the type of network
>>> (ie. mobile, internet application hosting, fixed line broadband,
>>> etc). DS-LITE would scale well, but would require CPE that obviously
>>> supported this feature.
>> mmm, dslite, is about v4 hosts accessing to v4 servers (and using v6
>> in the ISP), so no translation is involved, so it would allow a v6
>> node to access a v4 server.
>
> Yes, however devices would need to be able to tunnel IPv4 inside IPv6.
mmm, why is that?
I mean, i agree that some devices will need this and for that, some form
of tunelling as dslite would the right tool.
However, i fail to see why this will be the general case. I mean, if we
are supposedely migrating to a v6 only deployment, then i would assume
that there would some interest to deploy networks that only run v6 and
no v4 is involved. In that case, you need translation

> It's not translation, but the tunneling support is the key to
> traversing an IPv6 network.
>
>>> NAT64 is simple, but it presents issues with tethering v4 devices
>>> among other issues.
>> nat64 is the right tool for this particular problem, afaict
>
> I am not so sure about this being the right tool. Let's say that you
> have a mobile subscriber handset that is IPv6-only. The SP can turn on
> NAT64 and for the most part, the device would not need to care about IPv4.
right, that is what i was talking about

> However, if you wanted to use the phone as a tethered modem/gateway on
> an IPv4 host, it would not work.

sure, for that you need a tunneling technique, such as dslite, but i
understood we were talking about a v6 only deployment scenario

Regards, marcelo