Real world use for the U/L bit?

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 01:09:32 CET 2010

George,

The u/l bit is quite orthogonal to ULA prefixes.

I fully agree that ULA prefixes are for local use, by definition.
For example, number your printers and and other devices like that
out of a ULA prefix, and you will never need to change them even if
your ISP changes your main prefix. This makes good use of IPv6's
ability to run with several simultaneous prefixes.

There's considerable discussion of using ULAs in RFC 4864.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter