Real world use for the U/L bit?

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 21:38:23 CET 2010

Roger,

Today - it is no use. Just a rule.

The reason it is in the address architecture is stated explicitly
in RFC 4291:

  "The use of the universal/local bit in the Modified EUI-64 format
   identifier is to allow development of future technology that can take
   advantage of interface identifiers with universal scope."

This was in the hope of a multihoming solution that would avoid PI prefixes.
That is still an active hope.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter