Linux source address selection vs. EUI-64

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Nov 13 21:34:04 CET 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 01:35:48PM -0600, Frank Bulk wrote:

> If in the physical world a network administrator would assign a /64 per
> network segment (the prefix shouldn't be longer) for one or more servers or

In this case I have been assigned a /56, for a rack or two.
Assuming two or three (or four) networks for a server, I see
no shortages of assigning a /64 to each individual server NIC.
As each invidiual server will typically run hundreds of virtual
hosts (I currently fill an IPv4 /24 from a single dual-core Atom),
each virtual guest (individual small customer) would get a /96.

> workstations in a broadcast domain, then it should hold that each customer
> in a virtual environment should have at least a /64, no smaller, for 1 to n
> servers.

The virtual server guests are extremely lightweight. They even do not
have an individual MAC. What I'm asking is a genuine need for
such a minimal slice of a virtual estate (not even blessed with
an own MAC) for a whole /64. Do arguments like
http://weblog.chrisgrundemann.com/index.php/2009/how-much-ipv6-is-there/
for such deployments hold water?

> For all the customers in a virtual environment to share one /64 and then use

No, one customer (at least) one virtual server, each with a /96.
One physical server, one /64 for each NIC.

> a /96 out of it for their own address space suggests that the hosting
> provider is still thinking in IPv4 terms.

I did actually ask for a /48, but have gotten only a /56.
I was thought my provider miserly, but in retrospect the
assignment makes a lot more sense.

> These providers all give a /64 per customer:
> http://www.rapidxen.net/plans
> http://www.hostgatorcouponcodex.com/blog/free-vps-with-ipv6/
> http://bitfolk.com/

The arguments in above http://weblog.chrisgrundemann.com/index.php/2009/how-much-ipv6-is-there/
seem to indicate that's too lavish, and we will see IPv6
exhaustion within our lifetimes. (I agree, though mostly
for other, more lunatic reasons).