Linux source address selection vs. EUI-64

Geert Hendrickx ghen at telenet.be
Sat Nov 13 21:07:26 CET 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 01:35:48PM -0600, Frank Bulk wrote:
> If in the physical world a network administrator would assign a /64 per
> network segment (the prefix shouldn't be longer) for one or more servers or
> workstations in a broadcast domain, then it should hold that each customer
> in a virtual environment should have at least a /64, no smaller, for 1 to n
> servers.
>
> For all the customers in a virtual environment to share one /64 and then use
> a /96 out of it for their own address space suggests that the hosting
> provider is still thinking in IPv4 terms.

I don't see the problem here since everything is inside one broadcast domain,
no routing involved, and everything within my own /96 is statically assigned
so I don't need a /64 to guarantee uniqueness of addresses.

Anyway, this thread is diverging from the original question; how can I make a
statically assigned address take preference over an auto-configured address on
a Linux host?

Disabling SLAAC is one option, but not the preferred one.

	Geert

--
Geert Hendrickx  -=-  ghen at telenet.be  -=-  PGP: 0xC4BB9E9F