Linux source address selection vs. EUI-64

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Sat Nov 13 15:28:04 CET 2010

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 13:51:05 +0100
Geert Hendrickx <ghen at telenet.be> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> my VPS hosting provider has now deployed native IPv6 on their network
> (hooray!), and assigned each customer a /96 for their VPS, together with
> stateless autoconfiguration for routing and a EUI-64 address.

SLAAC requires /64 prefix lengths, as Modified EUI-64 Interface
Identifiers (IIDs) are 64 bits in size. When you say they've given each
customer a /96, are you saying a /96 range of addresses that you
can statically configure within a /64 shared by many customers (e.g.
you get 0x0 - 0xffffffff, next customer gets 0x100000000 -
0x1ffffffff etc.), or have they actually tried to route a /96 towards
you? If it is the latter, they should have enough /64s to easily be
able to give every customer at least one, if not multiple e.g. /60
or /56. That is a fairly fundamental thing to get wrong, I'd be
wondering if they really know all that much about IPv6 at all, and
would be hesitant to trust them to operate it reliably.

http://linux.die.net/man/5/gai.conf