Linux source address selection vs. EUI-64

Geert Hendrickx ghen at telenet.be
Sat Nov 13 13:51:05 CET 2010

Hi,

my VPS hosting provider has now deployed native IPv6 on their network
(hooray!), and assigned each customer a /96 for their VPS, together with
stateless autoconfiguration for routing and a EUI-64 address.

I manually configured an IP from my range on the host, but Linux seems
to prefer the EUI-64 address for outgoing connections, because it's
always the last added one (gets refreshed with each RA) and otherwise
equivalent with the static address (same /64 prefix), see [1].

I rather want to use the static address for outgoing connections (as it
has proper reverse DNS etc), though without necessarily getting rid of
the EUI-64 address; I could disable autoconfiguration but the hosting
provider uses the EUI-64 addresses for monitoring and troubleshooting,
so they prefer I don't ignore their RA's.

I could mark the EUI-64 address as deprecated so it's no longer used for
outgoing connections, but that would imply I have to hardcode it in my
configuration, which defeats the purpose of having it auto-configured
(it can change without prior notice, eg. when they move VPS's around).

Any other suggestions to influence the source address selection on Linux?

	Geert

[1] http://www.davidc.net/networking/ipv6-source-address-selection-linux

--
Geert Hendrickx  -=-  ghen at telenet.be  -=-  PGP: 0xC4BB9E9F