So why is "IPv4 with longer addresses" a problem anyway?

Elmar K. Bins elmi at 4ever.de
Mon May 31 15:40:55 CEST 2010

Re Nick,

nick at foobar.org (Nick Hilliard) wrote:

> On 30/05/2010 11:05, Benedikt Stockebrand wrote:
> > Using Autoconf and Network Unreachability Detection for router
> > failover doesn't give you the fastest failover time, but at least it
> > gives these people a chance.
>
> Depending on RA means:
>
> - loss of service measured in (by default) minutes in the case of router failure
> - serious security problems due to rogue RA announcements by unauthorised network clients

It gets more interesting if you try to really help your users with
an anycast gateway address. How do you propagate this one, and not
the routers', with RAs?

(Still, for workstation networks, DHCPv6 doesn't seem to really work
and RA is the "builtin" solution)

But basically, I believe the discussion comes from two very different
standpoints/outlooks, and while Benedikt is right in hammering into
our brains that "normal admins" will have to use the whole crap, I
want to remind you guys that this list is for the clueful (aren't we
all?)...

;-)

Elmar.