[ipv6-ops] Re: So why is "IPv4 with longer addresses" a problem anyway?

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Mon May 31 14:58:54 CEST 2010

Hi Fred,

On Wed, 26 May 2010 17:01:08 -0700
Fred Baker <fred at cisco.com> wrote:

> On May 26, 2010, at 2:32 PM, Mark Smith wrote:
>
> > IMHO, if the Internet was running IPX (32 bit network number, 48 bit node address), we'd still be running it, and wouldn't now have the problem of running out of addresses.
>
> well, yes, but we might have some issues with route scaling. IPX enumerates LANs, not edge networks or the ISPs that serve them.

My understanding, based on what Radia Perlman says about IPX in
"Interconnections", is that IPX network look up was actually longest
match, rather than exact match. In the time I worked with IPX, I never
saw or heard of anybody aggregating IPX networks, however it would seem
the spec might have allowed it.

A quick google search seems to show IOS supported specifying a mask on
an IPX static route, so that also suggests that IPX routing is longest
match:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/atipx/command/reference/2rfipx3.html#wp1024096

> We could make the same comment about CLNS and NSAPs; CLNS enumerates networks, and within them, subnets and hosts. The networks would be the edge networks, not the ISPs that serve them.
>
> IPv6 isn't perfect. The nice thing about it is that we can reasonably enumerate hosts, subnets (/64), edge networks (/48 or longer), and ISPs (/32 or thereabouts).

Regards,
Mark.