Mysterious missing DHCPv6 feature, was Re: How does one obtain an IPv6 DNS server when VPNing to an ASA?

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Fri May 28 00:37:17 CEST 2010

On 5/27/2010 3:21 PM, Paul Timmins wrote:
> Doug Barton wrote:
>
>> Sure, in your contrived example the number of things to configure is
>> equal. I can contrive equally effective examples of stuff that doesn't
>> require the people doing the configuration to touch the router.
 >
> Give an example where you could change the subnet assigned on a segment
> without touching the router on it. (And only the subnet, since that's
> all RA can set anyway)

At one place I worked we had a setup where the MAC addresses for known
hosts were saved in a database along with their appropriate subnets and
other important information. When those hosts connected to the DHCP
server they were assigned the appropriate configuration and the switch
port they were attached to was configured for the proper VLAN, etc.
Connecting an unknown host got you routed to the "guest" network.

>> You still haven't answered the question, "Why should RA be _required_
>> in IPv6 when DHCP is perfectly capable of doing everything that RA can
>> do and more?"
>
> Because RA is way easier to develop embedded devices for than DHCP.

A) This may have been true 15 years ago, but as it has already been
pointed out numerous times the marginal coast of stateless DHCP vs. RA
on today's devices is well into the noise. And B) even if it were true,
I don't have these theoretical micro-devices on my network, so I ask
again, why MUST I configure RA in order to have IPv6?

Doug

			-- Propellerheads