Mysterious missing DHCPv6 feature, was Re: How does one obtain an IPv6 DNS server when VPNing to an ASA?

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Fri May 28 00:02:33 CEST 2010

On 05/27/10 08:56, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 04:46:33PM +0100, Sam Wilson wrote:
>> On 27 May 2010, at 16:38, Gert Doering wrote:
>>
>>> But thanks for agreeing that it's hard to find a scenario that backs
>>> the claim "with RA+DHCP, I need to touch many more places than with
>>> DHCP-only".
>>
>> 100% more places.  Anyone care to define whether that's "many" or not?
>
> Huh?  You need to touch the router, and the server.  In both cases.
>
> Sounds like "same number of places" to me.

Sure, in your contrived example the number of things to configure is
equal. I can contrive equally effective examples of stuff that doesn't
require the people doing the configuration to touch the router.

You still haven't answered the question, "Why should RA be _required_ in
IPv6 when DHCP is perfectly capable of doing everything that RA can do
and more?"

Doug

			-- Propellerheads