Mysterious missing DHCPv6 feature, was Re: How does one obtain an IPv6 DNS server when VPNing to an ASA?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Thu May 27 21:14:01 CEST 2010

On 5/27/2010 6:53 AM, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 12:42:30PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
>> I'm talking internal networks here. Lots of 1918 space available.
>
> I wonder why there's so much address collisions between VPN sites and
> at enterprise mergers and acquisitions...

Because everyone uses 192.168.1.X since that's the default on
most translators.

The solution - renumbering - isn't going to go away after IPv6.
When you have a merger you may get away with not immediately
renumbering as a result of IPv6 but you almost certainly are going
to be changing ISP's used at the acquired entity, and when you
do that you will have to renumber the inside network.

Ted