Mysterious missing DHCPv6 feature, was Re: How does one obtain an IPv6 DNS server when VPNing to an ASA?

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Thu May 27 17:50:45 CEST 2010

--- On Thu, 5/27/10, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:
> > I'm purely objecting to the FUD about "with RA+DHCP,
> there is so much more work than with DHCP-only".
> People will read that, believe it, and make decisions based
> on bad data.
>
> I read the argument as "with RA+DHCP you have to do things
> *differently*" and that large enterprise customers don't
> want to change their procedures, that that there was *more*
> to do.

Mikael said it much better than I did.  If you're talking about a greenfield installation, it's the same amount of work.  But if you've already got a configuration management infrastructure suitable for multiple hundreds of thousands of customers, changing the way that it works for an ephimeral benefit is not something *attractive* about v6 deployment.  Allowing enterprises to continue doing what they were doing before makes the "sell" for v6 deployment a lot easier.

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com