Mysterious missing DHCPv6 feature, was Re: How does one obtain an IPv6 DNS server when VPNing to an ASA?

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Thu May 27 17:27:39 CEST 2010

-- On Thu, 5/27/10, Gert Doering <gert at space.net> wrote:

> Maybe my creativity is a bit limited, but please tell me
> what sort of
> configuration change you have in mind that would affect a
> different
> number of devices for "RA+DHCP" vs. "DHCP-only".

If I want to change the default gateway of hosts on my LAN, I can make a DHCPv4 change to do this.  Migrations or maintenance make this a useful attribute.

RA existed in IPv4, and was not widely used: DHCP was used for the default gateway instead, because operators preferred it.  Let's put the shoe on the other foot: if I don't want to deploy RA, why should I be forced to do so?

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com