Mysterious missing DHCPv6 feature, was Re: How does one obtain an IPv6 DNS server when VPNing to an ASA?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon May 24 22:27:45 CEST 2010

On 5/24/2010 12:42 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2010, Benedikt Stockebrand wrote:
>
>> Yet another issue is actually running out of addresses. That's not
>> much of an issue in the U.S., and not too much of an issue here in
>> central Europe, but the situation is worse in the LACNIC, AfriNIC and
>> APNIC regions.
>
> I'm talking internal networks here. Lots of 1918 space available.

Hi All,

   Let me jump in here with my $0.02

   I am VERY hard-pressed to imagine a business or corporate network
that would have a layout or technical reason that they would have to
dual-stack IPv6 internally on more than a handful of systems.

   I can, of course, easily imagine an academic network that had to be
dual-stacked.

    I can also imagine a company like, for example, Cisco, which as
they are getting money selling IPv6 solutions, that they would for
purely marketing and political reasons, mandate dual-stacking internally.

   But for your typical non-high-tech company, uh uh.  Most of this
crowd can probably get away with an application-level web proxy that
allows their inside privately-numbered IPv4 host access to any IPv6-only
websites that might be out on the Internet in the coming years, without
dual-stacking -anything- internal.

   Obviously, this isn't going to last forever.  But you would be
surprised at how long older networking technologies last.  The Netatalk
package is still in wide use to support older System 9 Macs.  There are
even still people using the decade-old MARS software with IPX.

   There is no pressing need for most corporate networks to run
into IPv6 for internal networks -if- they have an IPv4 network that is
doing everything for them that they want, and they have the money to
pony up for an application-level web proxy.  Nor is there really a need
among the Internet for them to do this - with the exception of people
wanting to create new products that are dependent solely on IPv6 from
server to client.

Ted