Mysterious missing DHCPv6 feature, was Re: How does one obtain an IPv6 DNS server when VPNing to an ASA?

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Mon May 17 08:32:04 CEST 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 08:05:00AM +0200, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Mon, 17 May 2010, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
>
> >	DHCP to hand out DNS servers, NTP servers on request, and do
> >	dynamic update for the forward and reverse DNS maps.
>
> And the new feature you were looking for was to hand out a default-gw,
> right? That's the "this" feature you were referring to and IETF didn't
> want to do?

	-and- hand out DNS servers and NTP servers w/o pulling new
	option codes - basically rework DHCP internals to remove the
	IPv4 specific formats and use an adressing abstraction to
	allow the existing options (that code addresses) to become
	address agnostic. For me, it was the more intuitive way to
	slice the DHCP problem - now we have -two- things called
	DHCP, one for IPv4 and one for IPv6 - and they are functionally
	different.  This seemed nutz to me, we don't have a DNS for
	IPv4 and a slightly different and incompatible DNS for IPv6. **

	But what do I know.  I'm just a code hobbiest - no corporate
	or vendor backing here.  I am not going to try and change the
	vectors on this code/base/spec - the inertia is just too large.

	but inside -MY- walled garden, mutations have occured.

** ok, so this is almost true - my DNS supports bitstrings and A6 rr types
still. And the DISCOVER op-code and the beginings of a hack to do regular
expression matching w/in lables... you really don't want to jump over the
wall... :)

> --

--bill