Imagine #2 (musings on the topic of proxies)

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Fri May 14 13:02:51 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 11:59:11PM +0200, Andrew Yourtchenko wrote:
> 1) Joe Sixpack hosts hosts the website www.foobar.example.com at
> FooHosters. He would like to experiment with making it available via
> IPv6, but FooHosters do not provide the IPv6 yet.

I'm actually a bit sceptical about the political message of something
like this.  It sends the message to FooHosters "well, you don't need
to bother with IPv6, we'll work around your lazyness".

I think the right message to send to FooHosters is "either you provide
IPv6 to my server in the next 6 weeks, or I move to BarHosters, who
already have IPv6 in their product offerings!"

Much better political message, and much less trying to fix broken business
processes with technical measures (inevitably leading to broken business
processes *and* broken networks).

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  150584

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279