How does one obtain an IPv6 DNS server when VPNing to an ASA?

Andrew Yourtchenko ayourtch at gmail.com
Fri May 14 10:53:16 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 7:53 AM, Ben Jencks <ben at bjencks.net> wrote:
> It's officially supported in 8.2.x, but there's apparently a nasty bug
> in at least the early versions where the "inactive" appliance still
> sends RAs despite not forwarding traffic. Be careful and test
> carefully. (I didn't experience this bug, we're still on 8.0, but I
> know someone who did)

That bug was before 8.2.2 - where it started to be "officially"
supported (because of the necessary changes to the infrastructure that
alleviated this behaviour. It was more than just a bugfix, yes -
starting from 8.2.2 the stateful failover is possible)

I did test it in 8.2.2, it worked all right. Don't use anything earlier.

As for the original question - no; there's no DHCPv6.

>From the config - since you give out both IPv4 and IPv6 - just
dual-stack the recursive DNS server, and use IPv4 towards the clients
?

Or you plan to get rid of IPv4 completely for those clients ?

cheers,
andrew