Browsers that surf to v6 addrs

Shaun Ewing s.ewing at aussiehq.com.au
Sat May 8 03:05:45 CEST 2010

On 08/05/2010, at 10:59 AM, Steve Bertrand wrote:

One thing I noticed during my testing, is that I don't have a web
browser on my system(s) that allows me to surf directly to an IPv6
address. I tried all manner of quoting, but still, no go.

Firefox at least attempts to go to '2607' if my url string is
"http://2607:f118::b6", IE immediately dumps "page can not be displayed".

I even tried the v6 enabled lynx on my v6 only server, but it too fails
miserably.

Is there a web browser that knows what a v6 address is, when processing
it via the ``address bar''? AFAIC, this is a problem when it comes to
troubleshooting. Perhaps my software is out of date.

The usual method for quoting is to enclose it in square brackets, eg:
http://[2607:f118::b6]/

I'm yet to find a modern browser that this doesn't work with.

-Shaun