Browsers that surf to v6 addrs

Steve Bertrand steve at ipv6canada.com
Sat May 8 02:59:52 CEST 2010

I have been working all day with Perl code in order to identify the
cleanest, easiest way to make connections to numerous different
protocols (ie. services that run on specific known ports).

There are a few that I'm going to provide the author with patches, but
others are just too complex for me to get into with the time I have.

One thing I noticed during my testing, is that I don't have a web
browser on my system(s) that allows me to surf directly to an IPv6
address. I tried all manner of quoting, but still, no go.

Firefox at least attempts to go to '2607' if my url string is
"http://2607:f118::b6", IE immediately dumps "page can not be displayed".

I even tried the v6 enabled lynx on my v6 only server, but it too fails
miserably.

Is there a web browser that knows what a v6 address is, when processing
it via the ``address bar''? AFAIC, this is a problem when it comes to
troubleshooting. Perhaps my software is out of date.

Steve