Windows 7 and SLAAC?

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Tue Mar 30 18:18:40 CEST 2010

On 30 Mar 2010, at 12:54, David Horn wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 7:27 AM, Gert Doering <gert at space.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I did an IPv6 training for a customer today, and discovered something
>> interesting - Windows 7 doesn't use the MAC address of an interface
>> for EUI64-based stateless autoconfiguration, but "something else".
>> [snip]
>

> Microsoft has a "Cable Guy" article that describes Vista/Win 7
> autoconf behavior, including the netsh CLI interface syntax for this
> particular setting.
>
> netsh interface ipv6 set global randomize identifiers=disabled
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.08.cableguy.aspx  for
> more information.

That's a very useful article.  I can't find in it (at a quick glance)
anything that says whether the random address generation logic tries
to generate the same (set of) random address(es) each time it is
initialised.  That would be a useful property for keeping tabs on
machines and would save the hassle of DDNS and the like.

Sam

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.