SV: Windows 7 and SLAAC?

Bøvre Jon Harald Jon.Harald.Bovre at hafslund.no
Tue Mar 30 13:47:00 CEST 2010

Copy/paste from this page:
http://ipv6.net/
(check section 'Latest Post')

You are right. Windows 7 (Server 2008 & Vista as well) by default randomizes ipv6 auto-configured address selection. This is in violation with section 4 of RFC 2464 that mandates that the network identifier part of the IPv6 address is derived from the 48-bit MAC address for Ethernet (and Wireless) interfaces.
It may be that Microsoft chose to do this for privacy reasons..

For most users this will not be much of a problem but for those running a server it will. There is however a solution:

netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled

This will switch the feature off and address selection will be based upon the EUI-64 identifier, derived from the interface’s built-in 48-bit IEEE 802 address.

jon