Windows 7 and SLAAC?

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Tue Mar 30 13:27:14 CEST 2010

Hi,

I did an IPv6 training for a customer today, and discovered something
interesting - Windows 7 doesn't use the MAC address of an interface
for EUI64-based stateless autoconfiguration, but "something else".

The host part is the same for the fe80:: and the global IPv6 address,
but it's something completely unrelated to the MAC address.

Does one of you have a pointer for me what Windows 7 is using here?  Some
sort of "windows installation global identifier"?

WinXP uses the MAC address, have no Vista to test right now...

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  150584

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279