On killing IPv6 transition mechanisms

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 20:27:12 CET 2010

On 2010-03-19 21:38, Tore Anderson wrote:
> * Brian E Carpenter
>
>> The link for Nathan Ward's work:
>>
>> http://www.braintrust.co.nz/tui/
>
> I see, thanks.  This won't help me much, I'm afraid.  My problem are
> with 6to4-enabled _end users_ using IPv4-only ISPs.  I would have needed
> to persuade all of those users' ISPs to install such a TUI box, and
> that's completely unrealistic.  Might as well try to persuade them to
> deploy native IPv6 instead.  :-)

Yes, ISPs and site network managers who have their hand in the sand
will not see the motivation for this.  But as IPv4 exhaustion begins
to bite over the next 3-5 years, this will probably change when help desk
calls increase. Then the motivation to make 6to4 and Teredo work will
probably decrease as native support increases. Honestly the best way
to kill these mechanisms is to make them unnecessary.

However, for now there is a problem for content providers, I agree.

    Brian