On killing IPv6 transition mechanisms

Martin Millnert martin at millnert.se
Fri Mar 19 19:00:13 CET 2010

Hi,

On Fri, 2010-03-19 at 10:35 +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
> I have been told by people who know more about Windows than I do that
> if you disable IPv6, a large number of windows RPC things in Win7/Server2008
> will just stop working.  To quote "the *base* communication protocol in
> W2k8R2 is IPv6, you just *can't* disable it".
>
> See, for example, http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/45032

See also
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.07.cableguy.aspx titled
"Support for IPv6 in Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7", with a
section labeled "The Argument against Disabling IPv6".

"From Microsoft's perspective, IPv6 is a mandatory part of the Windows
operating system [...] Therefore, Microsoft recommends that you leave
IPv6 enabled, even if you do not have an IPv6-enabled network, either
native or tunneled."

Disabling IPv6 *entirely* is impossible (lo will stay), but some partial
disabling can be done with http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852 . But
it will come with pain to do so.

This case closed now? :)

Cheers,