DNS Behaviour - Dual Stack Clients

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Fri Mar 19 10:41:51 CET 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 06:55:45PM -0400, Paul Stewart wrote:
> Thank you for the reply... so just to clarify further...
>
> A remote client or name server queries our nameserver (which is
> only reachable via IPv4).  Our name server replies with A and AAAA
> records in the lookup.  If the remote client is IPv6 capable will
> it ignore the AAAA information because it was only able to get the
> query answered via IPv4?  I believe this is what you're saying -
> again, just looking to clarify ;)

The "transport protocol for DNS information" and the "transported information
inside the DNS packets" are completely independent.

(After all, the client might be talking to his local resolver over IPv6,
so it wouldn't know at all whether your DNS servers have v6 transport
or not).

This is by design, and it's good design, because that way you can upgrade
the egg without annoying the chicken, and vice versa :-)

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  150584

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279