DNS Behaviour - Dual Stack Clients

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Thu Mar 18 23:27:43 CET 2010

Hi folks..

Pardon me if this is a "basic" question but trying to see if I understand DNS for IPv6.... we have dual-stack running in our core and distribution networks.

Unfortunately our DNS servers are behind load balancers that do not support IPv6 yet ;(

If I load the reverse IPv6 zone and put forward AAA entries into BIND it answers fine locally - what happens with a dual-stack client when they want to do a IPv6 authoritive lookup?  Will the dual-stack client connect on IPv4 and be able to still receive *and use* IPv6 records (via IPv4)?  Or is this client dependant on how it's configured?

Hope this makes sense - we're 6-8 months away from having our load balancers replaced with hardware that supports IPv6 directly...

Paul