On killing IPv6 transition mechanisms

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Wed Mar 17 09:29:00 CET 2010

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010, Benedikt Stockebrand wrote:

> I was more thinking along the line
>
>    End user:  My Internet is broken.
>
>    Help desk: What exactly do you want to do?
>
>    End user:  Connect to the Internet, with the funny colored letters.
>
>    Help desk: Oh, you mean Google.  Ok.  What happens?
>
>    End user:  It doesn't work and says there is something wrong about
>               some silly letters and colons there.
>
>    Help desk: Ok, that should be an IPv6 address.  I'll check with
>               the network administrators if they did anything.
>
>    End user:  Whatever this "IPv6" is---turn it off, I want to
>               work/play/whatever.

then this provider did his jobs badly. They did not test when they
introduced ipv6. Plan, Train, Test in small, learn, train, pilot, test,
train, test, introduce. Phased introduction this is the key! This takes
time! Therefore many ISPs are already late.

> If IPv6 disrupts a business customer's business or an end user's
> entertainment, there is a good chance they pick up "IPv6" as the
> keyword to blame.  It doesn't take actually understanding what IPv6 is
> to do so.

They should blame the provider! Probably change to another ISP. As they
would change if IPv4 service is badly provided.

Best Regards,
 	Janos Mohacsi