On killing IPv6 transition mechanisms

David Malone dwmalone at maths.tcd.ie
Tue Mar 16 16:55:47 CET 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 06:58:34PM +0100, Ole Troan wrote:
> if I was a content provider I would look hard at those numbers
> above to judge if I wanted to piss off 0.08% of my customers and
> slow down the web site for a quarter of a percent of the others.

FWIW, IPv6 has already provided evidence that many content providers
do not care about small percentages of customers: when some DNS
server devices were responding to AAAA requests incorrectly with
NXDOMAIN/timeouts/..., most content providers didn't notice, let
alone make any effort to fix it. The BBC and perl people did, but
others (including doubleclick and HP) were slow to respond, on a
time scale of years.  As embeded doubleclick images were so common,
this actually had an impact on many content providers, but it seems
that it didn't provoke much of a push to have things fixed.

Of course, I'm not sure what the percentage of people caught by
this was. As long ago as 2004, Caida were reporting 1% AAAA queries
at the DNS root, so I suspect that these problems were catching
more than 0.08% of people.

	David.