On killing IPv6 transition mechanisms

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Tue Mar 16 15:38:57 CET 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 01:54:00PM +0000, Tim Chown wrote:
> Slide 18 shows MacOSX seems to be the big 6to4 offender, or rather the
> Airport Extreme is... and the slideset suggests ISPs deploy more 6to4 relays,
> not less use of 6to4.    Is 6to4 enabled by default on the Airport Extreme?

Oh, good point.  Yes, it seems to be enabled-by-default, and since the
operating system on the client system does not *know* that it's 6to4
(for the client, it's just "IPv6 that someone announced a RA for on the
local LAN"), it can't properly (de-)prioritize it...

The Airport Extreme seems to do it automatically if you give it a public IP
- I have one, it interfered with my native IPv6, so I turned it off.  But
it was on-by-default.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  150584

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279