On killing IPv6 transition mechanisms

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Tue Mar 16 10:28:39 CET 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:13:18AM +0100, Tore Anderson wrote:
> on and on.  Network latency is without question on that list. While
> nothing can be done about a user's high-latency connection, 150ms of
> additional client-server latency due to IPv6 being used will quickly add
> up to seconds in terms of overall page load time for a complex web site,

I keep wondering about those 150ms.  I seem to remember that Google saw
*few users* that had a much higher IPv6 latency - but at the same time
they also saw users with a *lower* latency via IPv6 (due to different
network paths being taken).

For me, the v4/v6 latency is very similar - I use v6 all day, many of
the sites I connect to (including google) have v6, and I do not see any
adverse effects (nor any positive effects - it's just IP, after all).

So I'd like to see these 150ms qualified - in this discussion, it seems
to be the assumption that "IPv6 will *always* be 150ms slower", which
is most definitely not the case.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  150584

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279