On killing IPv6 transition mechanisms

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Mar 15 09:13:21 CET 2010

> 	However, what about the locations as distant as 83° E 53° W?
> 	There, I'm a customer of an ISP that offers a NAT-based service,
> 	so I, and their other customers, have no (Internet-routable)
> 	IPv4 address, let alone IPv6.  Thanks to the brave old RFC 1918!

This must be due to local economic conditions in Barnaul.

> 	With regards to leaving this ISP and looking for another, the
> 	state of the local market seemed (the last time I've checked it)
> 	so bitter, that I've chosen to make a deal with an ISP in
> 	another city instead, connecting to them with OpenVPN.

Hopefully the other city is Novosibirsk, the 3rd largest in the Russian
Federation.

> 	With that, and a few IPv4 I now have, I was able to get into
> 	IPv6, thanks to both HE.net and 6to4.  And my coworkers are in
> 	the deal, too.

Using HE.net seems strange. Aren't their tunnel brokers all in California?
You should look for a closer one such as SIXXS

Also, lobby your government. The federal government in Russia has been
taking several actions recently to improve the high tech economy. I believe
that some of these actions involve IPv6. But one thing is certain, the
federal government is ready to listen to people who have suggestions
that can help grow the high tech economy in Russia. You shouldn't have
to move to a city like Akademgorodok or Nizhniy Novgorod to participate.

--Michael Dillon