IPv6 black lists?

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Mar 15 09:01:23 CET 2010

> > There are no other customers in the same /64 subnet.
>
> ok, so how do you do that as a mass web hoster with >60k
> machines (e.g. United Internet, last time I talked to them)
> if your customers expect both IPv4 and IPv6 to work?  Put
> every machine in its own subnet?

Yes.
Every machine could potentially be running some kind of virtualisation
solution which means that what you see as 1 machine, is whole network
of several virtual machines to the hosting customer. They should never
get less than a /64.

Making both IPv4 and IPv6 work is a transition question and the solution
to that will not necesarily be the best practice after the transition
period has passed. I think that hosters should implement the best
IPv6 architecture right now, and apply transition mechanisms to make
things work with two protocols.

Also, note that it is only necessary to do this on new deployments.
With existing hosting customers, whose machines will be depreciated
and discarded before the end of IPv6 transition, you would have a
different solution, probably some kind of v6 tunnel broker.

--Michael Dillon