On killing IPv6 transition mechanisms

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Thu Mar 11 14:06:20 CET 2010

Hi Jeroen,

> Teredo has the same issues as 6to4: anycast in both IPv4 and IPv6 thus
> you never know the path that the packets will follow, thus it is
> horribly hard to debug; unless you have access to every single hop in
> the path of course.

Where exactly is there IPv4 anycast in Teredo?

Teredo makes a few things a bit easier in debugging (since both
directions go through the same relay), but makes it a lot harder as well
(you need full end-to-end connectivity for connection setup/relay
selection/trace, plus the dependency on (mostly third-party) Teredo
servers, plus the statefulness on the relays). If there was an agreement
to kill those services sooner than later I would be happy to be part of
it, but at least for 6to4 this will be impossible.

Bernhard