IPv6 black lists?

Benedikt Stockebrand me at benedikt-stockebrand.de
Thu Mar 11 00:11:02 CET 2010

Hi Gert and list,

Gert Doering <gert at space.net> writes:

>> that's still too simple: If you are a hoster, then a single hijacked
>> machine from a single customer will have all your other customers
>> quickly blacklisted as well.
>
> No, why?  If the customer spams from a single address, that address
> gets blocked.  If the customer cycles through his /64, that /64 will
> get blocked.

that's the point: In doing so you block all other customers in that
subnet as well.

And keep in mind that with the RFC 3041 privacy extensions enabled by
default on post-XP Windows boxes, the majority of them *will* cycle
through the /64 anyway.

> If you put multiple customers in the same /64, and one of them can
> use addresses out of that /64 at random, your setup is broken, and you
> deserve all the pain you can get.

Tell that to people in the low cost end user hosting business.  With
business customers you are right, because they tend to be willing to
pay a bit more for reliable service at least to some degree, but end
users frequently think quite differently.

>> Until then: Stop offering flatrates (not Spacenet, but all ISPs).
>> [...]
>
> The volume of a typical SPAM run is fairly low compared to the download
> of a single video.  Won't work.

Doesn't matter, it's more of a psychological aspect.  I've heard too
many Windows end users state that "as long as $game works I don't
care, that's what I've got a flatrate for.  And when $game breaks, I
reinstall the machine."  Just being able to tell them that their
behaviour may turn rather expensive should help some.

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--
			 Business Grade IPv6
		    Consulting, Training, Projects

Dipl. Inform.                 Tel.:  +49 (0) 69 - 247 512 362
Benedikt Stockebrand          Mobil: +49 (0) 177 - 41 73 985
Fichardstr. 38                Mail:  me at benedikt-stockebrand.de
D-60322 Frankfurt am Main     WWW:   http://www.benedikt-stockebrand.de/

Bitte kein Spam, keine unaufgeforderten Werbeanrufe, keine telefonischen
Umfragen.  Anrufe werden ggf. zu rechtlichen Zwecken aufgezeichnet.
No spam, no unsolicited sales calls, no telephone surveys, please. Calls
may be recorded for legal purposes.