IPv6 black lists?

Benedikt Stockebrand me at benedikt-stockebrand.de
Wed Mar 10 17:08:23 CET 2010

Hi again,

Jeroen Massar <jeroen at unfix.org> writes:

> Mohacsi Janos wrote:
> [..]
>> What about stopping this happen at the end system: preventing changing
>> IP addresses machines too often? Ther is already tool for monitoring
>> such an activity.....

How do you make everyone run such a tool?  How do you make everyone
understand its output?  And how do you prevent a botnet operator from
disabling it again afterwards?

The key problem with botnets and therefore spam are end users who
negligently provide bandwidth and CPU cycles.  That's why Gert
suggested to hold them liable for their (in)actions.

> If a /48 gets pushed to the user there is little (except for
> blocking/disabling) the upstream ISP can do.

Even that is difficult at best for a large end user ISP.  You have to
be fast to be effective and you have to face lawsuits if your
customers believe that you broke a contract as well as bad press.

I'm not saying that ISPs shouldn't do it, but it's not as easy as it
may appear.

> The method of raise the level after X hits from a certain prefix will
> solve this nicely.

As soon as spammers figure this out (and they will as soon as it
affects their "business") they'll strike back by flooding your
blacklists.

> ISPs which respond to abuse and keep their networks clean won't get
> listed, ISPs who don't care will be listed. Simple.
>
> Simple solution: care and clean up and don't get listed ;)

If there was a simple solution it would quite likely already be in
place:-)

Why should blacklisting work with IPv6 if it doesn't work with IPv4?

By now I expect that the only way to really deal with this entire
problem is to rethink the entire concept of e-mail from scratch.

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--
			 Business Grade IPv6
		    Consulting, Training, Projects

Dipl. Inform.                 Tel.:  +49 (0) 69 - 247 512 362
Benedikt Stockebrand          Mobil: +49 (0) 177 - 41 73 985
Fichardstr. 38                Mail:  me at benedikt-stockebrand.de
D-60322 Frankfurt am Main     WWW:   http://www.benedikt-stockebrand.de/

Bitte kein Spam, keine unaufgeforderten Werbeanrufe, keine telefonischen
Umfragen.  Anrufe werden ggf. zu rechtlichen Zwecken aufgezeichnet.
No spam, no unsolicited sales calls, no telephone surveys, please. Calls
may be recorded for legal purposes.