D-Link to support DHCPv6-PD soon

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Mar 2 12:45:25 CET 2010

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, Michael Adams wrote:

> We don't have a D-Link product manager but if one pops up here trying to
> sell CPE's I'll surely ask for proper v6 functionality :)

Also ask them about long term plans for the platform. I bought a DIR-855
over a year ago, and there has been a single software update for it
without any new features and no IPv6 functionality at all.

Since D-link makes all their money off of new box sales, I guess it'll
never get it either.

It seems like companies like Apple and Google who makes money off of
services have much bigger incentive to keep their products updated with
new features as opposed to companies that only sell products and then see
no reason to supply updates or new functionality. I'd gladly pay 30 USD to
get a software update for my DIR-855 with IPv6, but I guess handling money
transfers and licenses eats up the profit from such a model...

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se