odd dns behavior on osx

Ryan Rawdon ryan at u13.net
Sat Jun 19 10:52:02 CEST 2010

Firstly I'll point out that I'm not denying the existence of the bug
described, it is something I've observed at least since Snow Leopard was
released.

However, if this is the case for v6-only hosts, then why wouldn't this
cause IPv4-only hostnames to suffer the same sporadic brokenness that
the OP describes with v6-only hostnames?  e.g.  the same dual queries
for a v4-only host like mozilla.org go out, comes back with the AAAA
NXDOMAIN first, thus causing the A answer to be refused and subsequently
result in the browsing failure.

Ryan