odd dns behavior on osx

Alan Batie alan.batie at peakinternet.com
Fri Jun 18 01:41:54 CEST 2010

On 6/17/10 3:34 PM, Alan Batie wrote:
> I've been using www.v6.facebook.com since I found out about it earlier
> this week, and OSX is exhibiting some odd behavior: after a short time
> (the cache timeout period?), gui apps, specifically firefox and safari
> complain "can't find host".  From a terminal window, I can ping6 the
> site, after which firefox and safari can again find it themselves.  Very
> odd...

To followup: I did a tcpdump and it's not doing a dns query at all when
in this state.  A "dscacheutil -flushcache" will fix it as well as the
"ping6" --- it looks like the Aqua interface is doing its own dns
caching, only not refreshing expired AAAA entries...  I did report the
problem to Apple, but the 2nd tech (who at least didn't think "IPv6" was
a type of server ;-) ) didn't have IPv6 access to anything to test.
He's reporting it up the chain though...