The use of RIPng

Benedikt Stockebrand me at benedikt-stockebrand.de
Mon Jun 14 11:26:42 CEST 2010

Hi Gert, Jens, Tobias and list,

Gert Doering <gert at space.net> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 06:45:37PM +0200, Jens Link wrote:
>> Tobias Winter <tobias at linuxdingsda.de> writes:
>>
>> > http://hilfe-center.1und1.de/server/root_server/howtos/1.html
>>
>> I know that one and was told by one of the 1&1 networking guys that the
>> FAQ is outdated and that he would to 6to4.

I double checked on a regional mailing list.  According to Roman Meyer
of 1&1 they are working to get away from the configured tunnel setup
as soon as possible, but until then the (configured 6in4) tunnel
solution as explained in the howto is still available.

> Well, so terminate your contract with 1&1 and go to Strato...  "fully
> supported IPv6 there".

Since I know about the machines Jens is referring to: This isn't
exactly something you do over a weekend.

> (I know that 1&1 had issues with their last-hop router not being IPv6
> capable, and thus they went for the "local tunnel" solution - which is
> not *that* bad.  OTOH, just pointing interested customers to 6to4 is
> *very* bad).

At least the people I know at 1&1 are well aware of this.

Jens, did you ask through the mail address mentioned in the FAQ or did
you just contact their general support?

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--