IPv6 Anycast

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Wed Jun 2 19:02:41 CEST 2010

On Jun 2, 2010, at 5:43 AM, Martin Barry wrote:
> I'm trying to get a good grasp of IPv6 anycast.

Good luck.

> It appears to me that it's not quite analogous to the concept of anycast
> which has prevailed in IPv4...

That's correct.

> ...and has some deficiencies which would lead some
> operators to prefer to continue using the old method with IPv6 unicast
> addresses.

That would be an understatement.  To the best of my knowledge, _all_ anycast operators use actual anycast in the same way for both IPv4 and IPv6.  "IPv6 Anycast" was an unfortunate misnomer dubbed by IPv6 people who didn't understand anycast, and continues to occasionally confuse people.

                                -Bill