The use of RIPng

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Tue Jun 1 20:19:07 CEST 2010

On 6/1/2010 10:53 AM, Benedikt Stockebrand wrote:
> Ted Mittelstaedt<ted.m at ipinc.net>  writes:
>
>> Why do you use 2-3 routers with a grand total of 25 hosts?!?
>
> to separate accounting from human resources from R&D from internal
> servers from externally visible servers from guest (W)LANs.
>
> And sometimes more.
>
> For starters, make it one dedicated router for Internet connectivity
> (in some cases provided and managed by their ISP), one for the
> "business" subnets and possibly yet another one for R&D.
>
> These sites aren't data centers, but that doesn't mean reliability
> and/or security isn't relevant to them.

For networks like that we use 1 decent Internet router (we -always-
make any ISP that mandates an ISP-supplied CPE, set it up as a
bridge or router providing a subnet) and 1
decent managed layer 3 gigabit switch - Netgear makes some really
nice SOHO 24 & 48 port fully managed ones that aren't that
expensive - if we have to create the same kind of network.  Or,
just use a flat network and MAC address filtering to prevent the
different departments from seeing servers and such that they are
not supposed to get to and a layer 2 switch.  With fewer hardware boxes
there's much less to go wrong.  But rarely do we ever see that kind of
need in a SOHO.

Ted