DHCPv6 for OS/X, was Re: So why is "IPv4 with longer addresses" a problem anyway?

Shane Kerr shane at time-travellers.org
Tue Jun 1 04:34:20 CEST 2010

Nick,

On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 16:38 +0100, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> At least Windows vista/7, Linux and FreeBSD all support dhcpv6.  I look
> forward to seeing os/x support some time soon.

Are there plans for this that you know of?

My understanding was that the Networking Powers that Be in Apple did not
approve of DHCPv6 for philosophical differences.

Since autoconf is Good Enough for random laptops (or other iThingies)
running in dual-stack mode, I don't see much motivation for Apple to
change and support DHCPv6.

Maybe some enterprising Apple fan will wrap a DHCPv6 client with the Mac
magical way to install things cleanly and provide a nice work-around for
Apple users. It's not as good as official Apple support, but that would
be useful for some administrators...

--
Shane