IPv6-working freemail status

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Fri Jan 15 00:16:13 CET 2010

Le 14/01/2010 21:37, SM a écrit :
> At 11:00 14-01-10, Frank Bulk - iName.com wrote:
>> Which of the freemail providers (Google, Hotmail, AOL, Yahoo!, etc) have
>> IPv6-based e-mail transport working?  And a working IPv6 webmail?
>
> These freemail providers currently do not support SMTP over IPv6.
>
> Some mail filters unfortunately consider MX hosts resolving to IPv6
> addresses as invalid and the message is rejected because of that.  You
> won't encounter that problem with the freemail providers you mentioned.

I've encountered filters checking for a reverse DNS. As long as both
IPv4 & IPv6 rDNS works, it would be inappropriate for a mail filter to
trigger.
Also - I haven't encountered IPv6-only MX hosts yet. I would have
assumed that most current systems supporting v6 are dual stack.

Kind regards,

Olivier

--
Olivier Crépin-Leblond, PhD